Copyright office Digitize its Services
The official website of the Copyright Office https://copyright.gov.in/ has been modernized, making it more user-friendly. The website now provides several new functionalities, including
- Status of copyright applications
- Search facility
- Information relating to applications received
- Applications in which a copy of work has to be submitted post-e-filing of the applications
- Details of applications listed for hearings, etc.
The Copyright Office has started publishing Copyright Journal and making them available on their website. So far Copyright office has only issued two journals for April and May 2021. The journal provides details or information under the following seven headings, namely:
- Applications received for registration of copyright
- Copyrights registered
- Applications received for change in particulars of Register of Copyrights
- Changes approved in Register of Copyrights
- Relinquishment of copyrights or withdrawal of application for registration
- Application for registration/renewal of copyright society
- Registration/renewal of copyright society
- Information about Licenses issued/terminated
- Notices/orders/circulars issued.
The above are much-needed changes towards bringing transparency and digitalization of the Copyright Office functions. The changes would enable the applicant or its agent to track the progress of their application and prosecute it without any further delay.