Design Filing grows by over 50% (IP office Annual Report 2021-2022)
- A total of 22,699 design applications were submitted, an increase of 59.38% from the previous year
- The number of applications that originated from India during 2021-22 was 18,851, and the foreign applications were 3848. Thus, number of applications originating from India was about 83% of total filing.
- The top 7 Indian applicants were 1) Chitkara Innovation Incubator Foundation (367 applications), 2) Sabyasachi Calcutta LLP (269 applications), 3) Michael Aram India Private Limited (267 applications), 4) Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences (203) 5) Havells India Limited (173), 6) Relaxo Footwears Limited (160) and 7) SHARDA UNIVERSITY (160).
- The top 7 Foreign applicants were 1) Koninklijke Philips N.V. (218 applications), 2) HTL Furniture (China) Co. Ltd. (192 applications), 3) Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (104 applications), 4) Kohler Co. (97 applications), 5) Bejing Xiaomi Mobile Software Co. Ltd. (71), 6) CAI ZHENGHAO (69) and 7) Parry Murray & Co. Ltd. (59).
- Among the 3848 applications that came from abroad, the United States leads with the most applications (893) followed by China (671), Japan (329), Germany (273), the Netherlands (264), the Republic of Korea (237), the United Kingdom (234), Switzerland (167), France (105), Italy (105), and Sweden. (89).
- Among the applications originating from India
- 3570 applications were filed under Class 02 (Articles of clothing & haberdashery)
- 1376 under Class 12 (Means of transport or hoisting)
- 1232 under Class 06 (Furnishing)
- 1200 under class 09 (Packaging and containers for the transport or handling of goods)
- 1175 under class 07 (Household goods, not elsewhere specified)
- 1103 under Class 23 (Fluid distribution equipment, sanitary, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning equipment, solid fuel)
- 998 under Class 15 (Machines, not elsewhere specified) etc.
- the class-wise trend of applications originating from foreign countries:
- 503 applications under Class 14 (Recording, communication or information retrieval equipment)
- 368 applications under Class 12 (Means for transport or hoisting)
- 347 applications under Class 23 (Fluid Distribution Equipment)
- 327 under class 09 (Packaging and containers for the transport or handling of goods)
- 289 applications under Class 24 (Medical and Laboratory Equipment)
- 277 applications under Class 28 (Pharmaceutical and cosmetic products, toilet articles and apparatus).
- Surprisingly, the only common class among applications origination from India and foreign applicants is class 12 that is means for transport or hoisting. This would show that automobile companies and those manufacturing parts, components and accessories are most active in seeking design protection. In addition, the apparel companies are active in protecting their design.
Five-year trend in respect of Design Filing
Please follow and like us: