Copyright office takes Green Initiatives
The annual report released by the Controller General of Patents, Designs, and Trade Marks (CGPDTM) for 2021-2022 shows interesting developments and insights into the working of the Copyright Office.
- Filing of copyright applications increased by 26.74%, while copyright registration increased by 26.06% compared to 2020-2021.
- Online application filing reached 94% of the total applications.
- Green initiatives were introduced to save paper and promote Digital India by providing online filing of objections against the proposed applicant.
- Provision of a Radio button to file objections/complaints against registered societies.
- The compliance requirement for registration of software works has been substantially reduced, where the applicant can file the first ten and last ten pages of source code, or the entire source code if less than 20 pages, with no blocked out or redacted portions.
Trends in Copyright Applications during the last 5 years
Most applications for copyright registrations were received for Literary/Dramatic Category (12867) followed by Artistic (4227), Sound Recording (2332), Computer Software (974), Cinematograph Film (233) and Music (40).
* Category wise Registration of Copyright (ROC)
Surprisingly, with India’s large software industry, the software category applications are abysmally low. It is because the IP owners find Patent a better option as it grants protection to the creator(s) new, unique, and useful invention, discovery, or process. Whereas a copyright does not protect the innovative concept, features, or processes underlying the software but only the expression of the code itself.